The Florida Constitution, Art. X1, Sec. 3 Initiative…. the power to propose the revision or amendment of any portion or portions of this constitution by INITIATIVE is reserved to the PEOPLE…
Sounds good to me! Brace yourself because this could come as a shook. Law makers in Tallahassee do not like CITIZEN INITIATIVES They can cite a whole bunch of reasons. Special interest groups come in from outside of Florida and help pass such initiatives. But it is okay for special interest groups to come in from out of state, and maybe Japan, or any other foreign country, and lobby for government initiatives. Here is a biggie. CITIZEN INITIATIVES are costly and not very well thought out. While legislative initiatives are well thought out.The reason we have these CITIZEN INITIATIVES is because WE the PEOPLE have not been able to get the state legislature to act on issues important to WE the PEOPLE.
Here are some initiatives that the Legislature and the Executive of Florida do not like.
1. A CITIZEN INITIATIVE to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.15 per hour passed BY the PEOPLE by a 71 percent margin. It is tied to inflation so every January the minimum wage will be adjusted. Why would a government have a problem with that CITIZEN INITIATIVE? I know! The work force will shrink because the beneficiaries of this outrageous wage will be able to take extended vacations or take early retirement. Our Tampa Bay was very involved.
2. Somehow the legislature has got find away to reign in the change in the Constitution mandated by WE the PEOPLE to reduce class size. After all people, what would happen if smaller class size resulted in better student test scores? Why the legislature would have to stop beating up on teachers. Not a chance, they will find other ways to find fault. They are good at finding fault. It is a legislative art. So it has to be disturbing when WE the PEOPLE pass initiatives that benefit WE the PEOPLE. The Tampa Bay community scored big again.
3. Remember the successful CITIZEN INITIATIVE banning smoking in public places like restaurants. Recall all the noise from the the legislature and business community about lost jobs and closings. Never happened! Good for Tampa Bay because we helped.
4. We the people voted for a CITIZEN INITIATIVE right to know malpractice amendment concerning doctor and hospital GOOF UPS. The legislature wants to hand cuff that one. Seems we need to hand cuff the legislature. If necessary, Tampa Bay will help defeat any such bill.
5. Hey! I do not want you to think that the legislature is against all
Constitutional changes. Here is one they whole heartily support. You will see an amendment proposal November 2006. It will be a proposal to extend term limits from eight years to twelve years. Tampa Bay will say no!
Those goons in Tallahassee must have forgotten that WE the PEOPLE passed a CITIZEN INITIATIVE to limit terms to 8 years in 1992 by a 77 percent plurality. Wow that was close. We the PEOPLE just BARELY passed that one. So it is understandable why the legislature would want to do things (A) limit the PEOPLES Constitutional right to exercise CITIZEN INITIATIVES (B) write laws to water down CITIZEN INITIATIVES that WE the PEOPLE passed. Another surprise! It is not a CITIZEN driven INITIATIVE. It must come as a shook to learn that it is a legislator driven initiative. They say they need the change because it takes eight to learn the job. Well folks I sure hope that WE the PEOPLE say NO one more time. With that bunch it seems like eight days is eight days to many. People we need to wake up a create a government for WE the PEOPLE. I will be writing more about that in the future.
Here are some alarming developments that the legislature is pondering.
1. T0 pass a CITIZEN INITIATIVE requires a simple majority. The legislature will ask voters to make it 60 percent for approval.
2. You will be asked to limit CITIZEN INITIATIVES TO things already in the Constitution.
3. They will also ask you to make it a crime to get paid for collecting signatures.
You can expect to see these things on the ballot. We must defeat these measures and retain our Constitutional right to exercise CITIZEN INITIATIVES because it is our only hope to have meaningful government FOR the PEOPLE and by the PEOPLE. Our legislature is owned by the special interest groups. They legislate on there behalf and not ours.
THROW THE BUMS OUT OF OFFICE. Time to take back our government and make it work for WE the PEOPLE. In the mean time it would not hurt to write your Representative and state senator. Plan and simple tell them you support CITIZEN INITIATIVES as provided in the CONSTITUTION. If it’s not broken? Why fix it as the saying goes.
One of these days I’ll do some religious stuff. Like maybe an expose’ on the book of Revelation or a topic of interest to you.
Minister Irish is available for lectures with a sense of humor mixed
with current topics. Lectures can be to a group, a small forum for discussion, or to a few individuals. The fee is what you can afford.